Friday, August 26, 2011

Blog Post # 1

Born to the parents of Emanuel and Kimberly Jackson on March 11, 1991; in Irving, California; I was the youngest of three children: Jolene, Celina, and then me Alyssa Jackson. When I was two years of age my family moved to Okinawa Japan since my father was in the Marines. When I was six we moved to Texas, and a year later to Florida where I lived for thirteen year.
Throughout middle and high school in Florida I began a new hobby playing the clarinet in band. In high school I joined the marching band. Also in high school I devolved a skill that soon turned into a passion, which is my love for math. I also enjoy music and looking at the moon and stars. This is where I got the idea of my first tattoo, music notes, stars, and the moon.
At my first college, I became a very exceptional student in math, receiving the highest math award as a freshman. I tutored for the local high school and for my college. I then relieved I wanted to pursue my career as a Secondary Math teacher. Next, to father my education to become a math teacher, I knew that I could not stay at my first school, so this is how I happen to attend University of South Alabama.
In watching the clip Randy Pausch on Time Management, I learned that planning is very important. You can always change your plans, but only once you have one. Also failing to plan, is planning to fail. It is also good to have a to do list. A to do list keeps life organized and helps maintain effective time management skills. Randy Pausch stated that in a to do list, it is best to do the ugliest thing first, in other words, it is good to do the toughest job instead of keep coming back to it.

4 comments:

  1. Alyssa,

    Wow! You have been so many places. I know you were very young, but living in Japan must have been a great experience. I would love to see some pictures! A math wiz...this is a great skill to have and share with future students.

    I am glad you learned some from Randy Pausch's video. Did you find out who he is? He led a very interesting life (you will learn more about him later in the course).

    Welcome to EDM 310! I cannot wait to read what you post in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alyssa,
    You seem like a very interesting and well rounded young lady! I especially like hearing that you are so gifted in math, because it not my strong suit at all! Perhaps I'll ask you to tutor me as the semester progresses. I was wondering if you still played the clarinet? I used to play the flute and piccolo in my high school band and loved it too. Like Elizabeth said, I would also love to see some pictures from when you lived in Japan. Do you remember much from those days?
    I'm really glad that I got to read a little about you. I hope to continue reading your blog and learning more about your passions inside and outside the classroom as the year goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elizabeth,
    I learned a little bit about Randy Pausch, he received his degree in Computer Science from Brown University. He was a very known person from all the speeches he gave on time management and paying attention, and in 2007 he died from cancer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Frances,
    Yes I still play the clarinet and that is wonderful how you played the flute and piccolo in high school. I do not remember much from Japan since I was very young, and I will try and find pictures.

    ReplyDelete